rss icon Subscribe
desktop mobile

Georgia Scraps Deal on Major Port Project

© Image'in / Adobe Stock

by Margarita Antidze

Georgia has ended an investment agreement with an international consortium for one of the biggest projects in the former Soviet country, the construction of a major deep sea port on the Black Sea coast, its infrastructure minister said on Thursday.

The nine-phase project to improve access to Central Asia and the Middle East had received support from Georgia's strategic partner, the United States, as well as the European Union, which had labelled the planned port at Anaklia a priority project.

"The government discussed this issue and decided that further postponement does not make sense, since the Anaklia consortium will not be able to implement this project," Maia Tskitishvili told reporters after a government meeting.

Anaklia Development Consortium (ADC), which won the state tender to construct the $2.5 billion port and signed a deal with the government in 2016, secured pledged loans for $400 million from the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).

Before providing the money, however, banks wanted state guarantees that the Georgian government would repay their loans if the project failed, as well as insurance for their risks or for delays in implementation of the project, which included construction of connecting railways and roads.

The government, which had signed a 52-year concession agreement with the ADC, refused to provide such guarantees.

Some experts doubted the commercial viability of the project as the new port was designed to handle 100 million tonnes of cargo per year after five decades, while the four existing Georgian ports together handled less than one million tonnes in 2018.

ADC, which had already put $70 million of private investment into the project, was dealt a blow in August when one of its main members, U.S. company Conti International, decided to leave the consortium. Georgia demanded ADC found a replacement.

The consortium on Thursday accused the government of sabotage.

"We will appeal the government's decision in international court," Levan Akhvlediani, the consortium's director general, told reporters.

(Reporting by Margarita Antidze; Editing by Mark Potter)

Jan 9, 2020

 

People & Company News

Matson Promotes Three

(Photo: Matson)

U.S. carrier Matson announced it promoted three executives to the company's senior leadership team

@ Glosten: “Crazy ideas are not off the table”

“Doing business the same way over and over will not last; we know technology will advance our industry, and if we just sit back and don’t take an active role, we’re going to lose. There is no room for complacency.” 
Morgan Fanberg, President, Glosten

From racing scows on the inland lakes of Minnesota to graduating from the United States Merchant

UHL Takes-over Nine F900 Vessels

Image: United Heavy Lift

The German shipping company United Heavy Lift (UHL)  Hamburg has taken over a modern Heavy Lift

Contracts

Qatar Inks Deal with Fincantieri

(File photo: Fincantieri)

Qatar's Ministry of Defense has signed an agreement with Italian shipbuilding group Fincantieri

Smith Named Director of Columbia-class Sub Program

Brandi Smith has been named program director of the Columbia-class submarine program Newport News Shipbuilding. (HII photo)

Huntington Ingalls Industries (HII) announced Brandi Smith has been named program director of the

Safe Bulkers Sells, Leasebacks 8 Vessels

Image: Safe Bulkers

The Monaco-headquartered provider of marine drybulk transportation services Safe Bulkers Safe

Maritime Apps